Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I saw this recipe and made it the next day -- it was a real treat for us because we all love the taste of lemons and it has a nice creamy frosting. They were so good they only lasted one day in our house!
- 18 ounces white cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 ounces lemon flavor instant pudding and pie filling
- 16 ounces confectioners' sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened (1/2 stick)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat cake mix with water, egg whites and oil. Add dry pudding mix and beat in a large bowl with electric mixer on low speed until moistened. (Batter will be thick.) Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Spoon batter evenly into 24 paper-lined muffin tins.
- Bake 21-24 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat sugar, cream cheese, butter and lemon juice with electric mixer on low speed until well blended. Frost cupcakes.
These were delicious, the frosting especially! Quick and yet a special treat.
I was so happy to find this recipe! I usually bake from scratch, but this is so good, ( I've made it many times). I had lost my copy, and so I was thrilled to find it. Thanks! The only thing I do dirrerently is that I put raspberry preserves in the center of the cupcake, after they are baked.
Oh my lucky stars! These are so good! The only change was the egg whites. I chose to do 3 eggs instead. Everyone loved them. They were disappointed I didn't make more. :) Made for the September 2008 Aussie/NZ recipe swap.