Recipe by Redsie
Adapted from Cupcakes, Cupcakes and More Cupcakes! The icing makes more than for 12 cupcakes - unless you love icing!! Halved the recipe of the icing for my family!
Top Review by CAROLYN C.
The batter was thick like cookie dough instead of like cake or brownie batter. I tasted it with the frosting and without and I like it better without the frosting. The cupcakes came out more scone like instead of moist-like cup cakes. I would make it again for breakfast scones and add blueberries.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 lemons, zest of
- 2 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325°F Insert liners into medium cupcake pans.
- Prepare cupcakes. Melt butter and lemon zest on low heat; the heat helps release the flavors and spice the butter.
- In a bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- Place eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl, beating on medium speed.
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients, alternating with the melted butter and mix until mixture is light and airy.
- Fill the cupcake liners two-third full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cupcakes are springy to the touch and a toothpick inserted in cupcake's center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Prepare glaze: in an eletric mixer,beat butter with powdered sugar and lemon juice until frosting is integrated and smooth (add 1 more tablespoon of lemon juice for creamier texture if desired).
- Using a spatula, spread frosting on each cupcake, decorating with lemon zest.