Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Adapted from Cupcakes, Cupcakes and More Cupcakes! The icing makes more than for 12 cupcakes - unless you love icing!! Halved the recipe of the icing for my family!
- 1 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 lemons, zest of
- 2 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 325°F Insert liners into medium cupcake pans.
- Prepare cupcakes. Melt butter and lemon zest on low heat; the heat helps release the flavors and spice the butter.
- In a bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- Place eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl, beating on medium speed.
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients, alternating with the melted butter and mix until mixture is light and airy.
- Fill the cupcake liners two-third full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cupcakes are springy to the touch and a toothpick inserted in cupcake's center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Prepare glaze: in an eletric mixer,beat butter with powdered sugar and lemon juice until frosting is integrated and smooth (add 1 more tablespoon of lemon juice for creamier texture if desired).
- Using a spatula, spread frosting on each cupcake, decorating with lemon zest.
This was an excellent recipe, but I only used a half cup of flour. As stated in the previous comment, it calls for too much flour and will end up making your cupcakes super dry. 1/2 cup of flour was more than enough.
These were really nice cupcakes! The batter was quite thick which might be why the cupcakes turned out less moist than usual. They still had a lovely lemony flavour tho', and looked pretty too!