Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1⁄2 cup cake flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 6 large egg whites
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon
- Sift flour and half of the sugar (=1/4 cup) in a bowl.
- Cut the lemon in half. Combine half the lemon juice with vanilla extract. If you want an extra burst of flavour, finely chop up the lemon skin, about 1 tablespoon worth. Set the mixture aside.
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until peaks form.
- Add in the remaining sugar in the egg mixture slowly; mix at high speed until peaks.
- Add in flour to the egg mixture, and mix at low speed only until it's mixed completely.
- Separate batter into 12 cupcake trays.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
These are not your typical cupcakes. They are great as far as a low fat cupcake, but I wouldn't say they taste like cake but rather angel food cake. Just not what I was looking for, as far as taste goes. On a side note, they are one point on weight watchers. Also, the recipe never says when to add the lemon juice and vanilla extract to the mixture. I added it with the egg whites.
i was a little uncertain about these cupcakes, but decided to give them a try. the batter is very light, and they bake up very fluffy. they have a unique, but wonderful flavor, and are perfect with some whipped cream. thank you!!!