Lemon desserts are for me what chocolate desserts are for chocoholics. These are mildly rather than aggressively lemony. I figure 7/8 cup flour by filling a 1 cup measure, then removing 2 tablespoons. 1 Tbs grated lemon zest is approximately one lemon's worth of peel. By the way, the frosting is also good on carrot cake.
- Beat together the butter, cream cheese, lemon zest and sugar, then beat in eggs until smooth.
- Gradually add the flour, baking powder and salt to the cheese mixture and beat with your mixer on low speed until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between 12 cupcake cups that have been lined with paper cupcake liners.
- Bake at 325F about 25 minutes until firm to the touch.
- While cupcakes are baking, make frosting by beating the frosting ingredients together until smooth.
- Let cool 10 minutes in pan, then transfer to a wire rack.
- Frost when cooled.