Lemon desserts are for me what chocolate desserts are for chocoholics. These are mildly rather than aggressively lemony. I figure 7/8 cup flour by filling a 1 cup measure, then removing 2 tablespoons. 1 Tbs grated lemon zest is approximately one lemon's worth of peel. By the way, the frosting is also good on carrot cake.
- Beat together the butter, cream cheese, lemon zest and sugar, then beat in eggs until smooth.
- Gradually add the flour, baking powder and salt to the cheese mixture and beat with your mixer on low speed until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between 12 cupcake cups that have been lined with paper cupcake liners.
- Bake at 325F about 25 minutes until firm to the touch.
- While cupcakes are baking, make frosting by beating the frosting ingredients together until smooth.
- Let cool 10 minutes in pan, then transfer to a wire rack.
- Frost when cooled.
These were very good cupcakes. Nice, light texture. I would have prefered them to be a bit more lemon-y, but that's just my taste. I did not use the frosting listed, as I did not want a cream cheese frosting for this occasion. I'm looking forward to trying the cupcakes with the frosting though. Overall, a great light cupcake.
Great cupcakes. I love lemon and these had a nice light, well balanced lemon flavor. The cakes came out perfect. They're moist and raised well. I also really liked this frosting. Not to sweet or overly cream cheesey. I'll be holding on to this recipe. I only got 10 regular sized cupcakes though. Thanks Echo!
Wow!These were lemony perfection! I could have eaten the whole batch. The amount of lemon flavor is just right and not too over-powering. Not only is this a very easy recipe, The cake part was very moist and delicious, and I think I will use this cream cheese frosting for everything from now on. Thank you for posting my new favorite treat!