Recipe by COOKGIRl
Here in Oregon I can buy organic yet inexpensive lemon cucumbers from the Farmers' Market-alas, only in the summer! Sweeter and milder than standard cucumbers, this variety of cucumbers (L cucumis sativus) is light and refreshing! Be sure to choose ones that are firm, about the size of a lime, and have no large brown spots. From Home Grown Cooking.
- 1 cup lemon cucumber, peeled and diced small
- 3 tablespoons red onions, diced small
- 2 firm roma tomatoes, diced small
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, finely minced (read *NOTE)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped (NOT dried)
- 1⁄2 limes, juice of or 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- cayenne pepper
- mint leaf
- lime zest or lemon zest
Directions See How It's Made
- *NOTE: Dark green and pretty poblano chile can be substituted for the jalapeno for less heat if you wish.
- SALSA: Combine all ingredients in a non-reactive serving bowl, cover and let sit at least 1 hour to marinate.
- Just before serving, garnish salsa with the remaining ingredients.
- Yield is estimated.