Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is an unusual salad, full of intriguing flavors. Perfect for a summr picnic menu. Originally from an August 1984 issue of Bon Appetit that had a feature on Picnics Made Perfect.
- 2 large english hothouse cucumbers
- 3 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1⁄4 cup lemon peel, finely julienned
- 1⁄4 cup orange peel, finely julienned
- 1⁄3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Halve each cucumber lengthwise.
- Cut long grooves in skin using fork.
- Scoop out hollow in center of each using a melon ball cutter; discard seeds and pulp.
- Slice cucumbers 1/4 inch thick.
- Place cucumber slices in colander, sprinkle with salt and gently toss;drain 30 minutes.
- Rinse in cold water and pat dry.
- Blanch citrus peels in simmering water 3 minutes; rinse in cold water and pat dry.
- Blend juices in small nonaluminum bowl.
- Whisk in oil in thin stream;season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix in cucumbers and peels.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours.