Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 4 ounces soft margarine
- 6 ounces caster sugar
- 6 ounces self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 fresh lemon rind, of finely grated
For the Crunchy Topping
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 4 ounces caster sugar or 4 ounces granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350F).
- Lightly grease and base line a 7in deep round cake tin with greased greaseproof paper.
- Measure all the ingredients for the cake into a large bowl and beat well for about 2 minutes until smooth and well blended.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes or until the cake has shrunk slightly from the sides of the tin and springs back when lightly pressed with a finger.
- Whilst the cake is baking, make the crunchy topping.
- Measure the lemon juice and sugar into a bowl and stir until blended.
- When the cake comes out of the oven, spread the lemon paste over the top whilst the cake is still hot.
- Leave in a tin until cold, then turn out and remove the paper.