Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
These muffins are different because the lemon flavor is a nice addition with the blueberry even though the lemon is just on the top of the muffin. These muffins are a great way to start of the day and are low in fat. If you are using frozen blueberries, DO NOT defrost them, just throw them in frozen!
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- In bowl combine flour, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir well.
- Combine milk, oil and egg in a small bowl. Beat well.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir just to moisten. Fold in blueberries.
- Fill greased or paper lined muffin tins 2/3 full. Combine sugar and lemon zest. Sprinkle on muffins before baking. Bake at 425 F for 20-25 minutes.
This is a marvelous recipe and a real keeper! It's already fairly low in fat but I'm always cutting where I can. I used skim milk and replaced all of the 1/3 cup of sugar with Splenda and the 1 egg became 1/4 cup of eggbeaters. Still this baked up into lovely muffins that are not terribly sweet. For the topping I mixed lemon juice and Splenda and while it was a bit to liquid it still did the trick for the lemon flavor. Also the frozen blueberries worked just fine and made tiny moist spots of perfection!. Yummy