Recipe by Redsie
From Company's Coming's "Most Loved Treats". I am intrigued by these bars as they contain soda crackers! Will let you know when I try them out!
Top Review by cannonmonkey
These are delicious! My mother has a recipe similar to this, without the baking powder in the crust; also, she uses just lemon juice in the filling. It's better to eat this with a plate and fork, because the crust tends to be crumbly. I (personally) like to use soda crackers with salt, becasue it adds a nice depth to the crust, and helps cut through the sweetness of the coconut and the filling.
- 1 1⁄3 cups crushed soda crackers
- 3⁄4 cup margarine or 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup medium unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, juice and rind of, grated
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Bottom Layer: Combine all 6 ingredients in medium bowl until crumbly.
- Reserve 1 cup for topping.
- Press remaining crumb mixture firmly in ungreased 9x9 inch pan.
- Bake in 350F oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Lemon Filling: Beat eggs in heavy medium saucepan.
- Add remaining 3 ingredients.
- Heat and stir on medium until thickened.
- Spread evenly over crumb layer in pan.
- Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture over top.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Let stand in pan or wire rack until cool.
- Cut into 36 squares.