Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
these are easy and delicate. Uses one envelope of Jello or Sheriffs brand lemon pie filling, and soda crackers.The pie filling this recipe uses is the type thats made with water and egg if instructed on the package not cooked with milk or instant..You can also pie lemon pie filling in the cans by E.D. Smith already prepared. I cannot seem to fix that part of this recipe below please no milk, and only one of the envelopes in the package of pie filling mix.
- 3⁄4 cup crushed soda cracker
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup room temperature butter
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups small flaked coconut or 1 1⁄2 cups desiccated coconut
- 1 (6 ounce) packagejello brand or sheriff brand lemon pudding mix (for one pie)
- Prepare the lemon pie filling according to the package direction.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 inch square pan or a 7 x 11 brownie pan.
- Sift the all purpose flour with the baking powder.
- Rub in the room temperature butter until crumbs are formed.
- Add the crushed soda cracker (I usually use salted as those are the ones I always have).
- Add the sugar and coconut.
- Spread half crumb mixture into pan.
- Press to form crust.
- Pour cooked cooled lemon pie filling over evenly.
- Sprinkle and pat down slightly the remainder of the crumbs.
- Bake 350 degrees, until golden brown about 12 to 16 minutes.
- Remove from oven to a rack.
- Must be cooled completely before cutting into squares.
- Can be frozen without any problems.
- Very delicate, can be cut into small squares while frozen.
Made these shortly after being posted on Request a Recipe and they were absolutely delicious. We loved them as did our friends. There were plenty requests for the recipe! I made them using the Jello brand pie filler, making two ... one using cracker crumbs the other with vanilla wafer crumbs. Both were a hit. I froze the cut squares and they freeze well. I thank you and my friends thank you for a 'new' to us terrific tasting Lemon Bar!
Freeze these before you cut them or they make a mess. Very delicate cookies. I used Jello Cook and Serve Lemon Pudding.