Recipe by HeatherFeather
A great choice to serve with coffee or tea. Adapted from Bon Appetit magazine. This has a very mild lemon flavor and is not overly sweet- if you prefer more of a lemony punch, add a teapsoon of lemon flavor extract along with the vanilla.
Top Review by chia
i don't know why this didn't work, i've been cooking bon appetit recipes for 25 years or more-- the topping melted into the rest of the cake which basically tastes like a lemon cinammon cake- nice flavor, i did cover the top with confectioners sugar but this is pretty plain- if i knew the topping would just blend in with the rest i wouldn't have bothered to separate it. i think if you separately blend some flour, lemon zest butter and cinammon it would have come out better
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon zest, finely grated
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- powdered sugar, to garnish,to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease& flour an 8" square baking pan.
- Combine flour, both sugars,lemon zest, and cinnamon.
- Add oil and lemon juice and stir just until dry ingredients are all moistened and starts to clump up (mixture should have lots of large clumps of varying sizes, as well as some smaller pea sized lumps - it should be very lumpy, not fine).
- Scoop out 1 cup of this mixture and set aside in a small bowl- this will be your crumb topping.
- Whisk together sour cream, egg, vanilla, baking powder, and baking soda well.
- Using a mixer, add sour cream mixture to clumpy mixture still in mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
- Pour into pan, spreading with a spatula until even.
- Sprinkle reserved clumpy mixture over the top.
- Bake about 40 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan on wire racks.
- Before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar, then cut into squares and serve.