Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) box lemon cake mix or 1 (18 1/2 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 large egg, plus
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 cups saltine crackers, finely crushed (1/4 lb)
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl, heat cake mix, margarine and 1 egg with mixer until crumbly.
- Stir in saltine crumbs.
- Reserving 2 cups of crumb mixture, press remaining crumbs into bottom of greased 13x9 baking pan.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- With mixer or wire whisk, beat 3 egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice. Spread over prepared crust. Top with reserved crumb mixture. Bake 25 minutes or until set. Cool.
- Cut into bars. Store covered in refrigerator.
These bars are soooo yummy!! All of the ingredients taste lovely together, though I may add different ingredients to the top crumble layer. And/or sprinkle some powdered sugar and cinnamon on top. Very very good, I will definitely be baking these bad boys again!!!
Very easy and very tasty. I added a little extra lemon zest to the crumbs and to the filling. I'm wondering if you could substitute some chopped almonds for the some of the cracker crumbs? I'll have to try that next.
I made these for a 4th of July party from a TOH magazine I believe...Everyone loved them, just be sure to not overbake the crust. It will look like it still needs to be a bit browner, but overcooked crust makes the bars too crunchy.