Top Review by justcallmetoni
Simple recipe to follow with tasty results. The cookies were best when removed from the oven just after the edges began to brown giving you a crisp exterior and a chewy interior. In my oven this was about 10.5 minutes. I added a teaspoon of very fine lemon zest which enhanced the flavor a bit. These will certainly stay in my holiday cookbook.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon yellow food coloring
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (for rolling)
Directions See How It's Made
- In mixing bowl cream shortening, 1-1/4 cups sugar and salt; add egg,extract and yellow food coloring,combining well.
- Gradually beat in evaporated milk.
- Add dry ingredients and beat at low speed,scraping sides of bowl often.
- Chill 30-60 minutes.
- Shape with wet hands into 1-inch balls and roll in sugar.
- Place on Greased cookie sheet about two inches apart.
- Bake at 350 about 10-12 minutes or until cookies are golden brown.
- Remove immediately from baking sheet.