Prep 10 mins
Cook 9 mins
Crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. With just the right mix of sweet and tangy.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar, plus
- extra sugar, to roll cookies in
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C.
- Cream butter, sugar, eggs and lemon extract.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and cream of tartar and stir into butter mix.
- Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Shape into 1 inch balls and roll in sugar.
- Bake on a cookie sheet for about 9-11 minutes depending on your oven (cookies should be light brown around the edge).
- Let rest about 10 minutes before moving.
- Try one and adjust temperature or time if needed.
My sister made these last week, using 1 tsp lemon extract. They were very good, and remind us of the famous cookies made by Archway, but without the lemon glaze. This is a wonderful recipe. Thanks for sharing!
Very good! I used self-rising flour and omitted the baking soda. Will use a bit more lemon flavor next time.