Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
Wonderful lemon flavor.
Make and share this Lemon Crinkle Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Cream shortening and brown sugar until fluffy; add egg and lemon rind, beating well.
- Combine flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, ginger, and salt; stir into creamed mixture.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls; roll each in sugar.
- Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
I baked these for my latest catering gig...a pig roast.... and served them with fresh strawberries.....after I watched 12 dozen cookies disappear, I knew I had a winner. I used half shortening and half real butter. It made a chewy/crisp on the outside cookie. I also added 3/4 tsp of lemon extract. They are STILL talking about the cookies.....and there were lots of other wonderful dishes there!
Awesome recipe! These cookies have a wonderful chewy texture that I love! (I did replace the shortening with butter, and it seemed to work just fine! :))
I used store bought lemon peel, about a tablespoon plus a little lemon juice. They are really very pretty cookies.