Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
If you are looking for a special dessert and love lemon, look no further. This fits the bill on both counts.
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 59.14 ml powdered sugar
- 0.25 ml salt
- 88.74 ml chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 19.71 ml chilled whipping cream (or more)
- 1 egg white, beaten to blend
- 177.44 ml sugar, plus
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 177.44 ml whipping cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
- 118.29 ml fresh lemon juice
- 14.79 ml finely grated lemon zest (packed)
- lemon slice (to garnish) (optional)
- For crust: Combine flour, sugar and salt in processor.
- Blend 5 seconds.
- Using on/off turns, blend in butter until coarse meal forms.
- Add 4 teaspoons cream.
- Using on/off turns, blend until moist clumps form, adding more cream by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry.
- Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk.
- Wrap and chill at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll out dough on floured surface to 12-inch round.
- Transfer to 9-inch diameter tart pan with removable bottom.
- Roll overhand in, pressing to form double thick sides.
- Bake crust until golden, pressing with the back of fork if crust bubbles, about 18 minutes (small cracks may appear).
- Brush inside of hot crust twice with egg white.
- Maintain oven temperature.
- For filling: Whisk 3/4 cup sugar, cream, yolks, and eggs in bowl to blend well.
- Mix in lemon juice and lemon peel.
- Pour filling into warm crust.
- Bake until filling is slightly puffed at edges and set in center, about 30 minutes.
- Cool completely about 1 hour.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place tart on baking sheet.
- Cover edge of crust with foil to prevent burning.
- Sprinkle tart with 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Broil tart until sugar melts and caramelizes, turning sheet for even browning, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer tart to rack.
- Cool until topping is crisp, about 1 hour.
- Push tart bottom up, releasing tart.
- Place on platter, garnish with lemon slices, if desired, and serve.
Simple and perfect amount of tartness to make it a perfect lemon tart. This one's a keeper!
I think the first reveiwer must have had a brain-fade somewhere along the line, because this is a fantastic recipe! Originally from Bon Appetit magazine, I've made this tart for numerous dinner parties ever since it was first published - always to rave reviews! Thanks for taking the time to post this excellent recipe.
I'm not sure what the other reviewer did wrong, but this was definitely not dry and tastless. If done properly you will be rewarded with a lucious, delicious tart with a beautiful lemon flavour. I did everything exactly as the recipe required and was very pleased with the results. I am very glad I was able to look past the negative review and tried this recipe. I highly recommend it to anyone that wants a special dessert. You WILL NOT be dissappointed!