Prep 1 hr
Cook 50 mins
A lemon creme brulee, with a suttle lemon taste. Its not overpowering, but light and refreshing.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Separate egg yolks, and add 2 whole eggs.
- Add 1 cup sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add 1/4 cup of lemon juice to the eggs.
- In a small saucepan, bring the whipping cream to a simmer.
- Put the lemon zest in the whipping cream.
- Put the cream mixture aside for 10 minutes.
- This allows the oil from the zest to perfume the cream.
- Set the egg mixture on low speed.
- Pour the cream mixture into the egg mixture, until all the cream is gone.
- You might find that all the zest is resting on the bottom of the pan of cream.
- Discard the zest.
- Strain the egg/cream mixture into a 4 cup measure glass.
- Setup your ramekins in a deep flat pan.
- Pour the cream mixture into the ramekin, to about 1/2 inch from the top of the ramekin. Pour water around the ramekins, about 3/4's of the way up the outside of the ramekin.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Brulee should be just giggly in the centre.
- Turn off the oven, and let water go to cool.
- Put brulee in the fridge, to setup.
- Just before serving, put 1 tablespoon of sugar on top of brulee.
- Put under the broiler, and watch closely.
- Take out when the sugar begins to curl, or in my case, when the fire alarm goes off.
I haven't tried the recipe yet but I'm confused because the ingredients list say 1/4 cup lemon juice but the directions say 1 cup. I'm assuming it should still be 1/4 cup...