Prep 24 hrs
Cook 7 mins
Plan ahead the lemon curd needs to chill for a minimum of 4 hours or up to 2 days. A vanilla crumb, graham or chocolate crumb crust can be used for this pie. This pie is best prepared a day ahead to allow the lemon/cream filling to set properly or chill for a minumum of 6 hours. This pie is wonderful!
- 1 prepared graham cracker crust (store-bought or homemade)
- 6 large eggs
- 3⁄4-1 cup sugar (if you like sweet then use 1 cup)
- 2 -3 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup whipping cream, unwhipped
- In a medium heavy saucepan combine the eggs, sugar and zest; whisk the mixture until smooth.
- Add in lemon juice and butter and cook the mixture over medium heat whisking constantly until thickened, about 7-9 minutes (do not let the mixture come to a boil).
- Pour the lemon curd through a fine mesh strainer into a glass bowl; cover the surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours until it is cold and thick (can be made up to 2 days in advance).
- In a medium size bowl using an electric mixer whip the cream until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipping cream into the lemon curd, then transfer into the prepared pie shell.
- Cover the pie with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the filling is completely set (a minimum of at least 6 hours or overnight).
Great pie. Lemon flavor and texture were spot on. I used crust from Basic Graham Cracker Crust, from the original Fanny Farmer cookbook. Really enjoyed this.