I made these trifles from fresh berries that my family picked. They consist of layers of poundcake, berries, lemon cream and are topped with toasted almonds. What a light, refreshing dessert on a hot summer's day!
- Chill a medium bowl and electric mixer beaters in the freezer for 30 - 60 minutes.
- To toast almonds, place in a small skillet over medium heat. Stir occasionally for 5-10 minutes or until the almond slices are aromatic and lightly browned. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a chilled bowl with chilled beaters, place whipping cream, powdered sugar and lemon curd. Whip on low speed until the mixture begins to thicken. Then increase the speed and whip until soft peaks form and beaters leave a gentle ripple in the bowl. (Note: Do not whip too much, or the mixture will be too stiff and turn into butter.).
- In small parfait/sundae glasses, place 3 cubes of pound cake in the bottom of each glass. Then add 3-4 (pieces) of each berry. Then neatly dollop the lemon cream atop the berries. Repeat once more.
- Top each individual trifle with berries, sprinkle with almonds and refrigerate until ready to serve.