Prep 24 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Wonderful for those long summer evenings, when it's too hot to go to bed...it will keep the conversation going forever (or at least until the bottle is empty...!)Keep this in the freezer (it won't freeze because of the alcohol in it, but it will become even creamier and more refreshing) and take it out about ten minutes before serving (Prep time includes overnight soaking)
- 500 ml 95 proof grain alcohol
- 5 medium lemons, non chemical-treated
- 1 liter whole milk (full fat)
- 600 -800 g sugar (depending on how dense you want it to be)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup whiskey or 3⁄4 cup cognac
- Put lemon peels (without white pith) in a jar with the alcohol, leave them to soak for 24 hours shaking the jar a couple of times.
- Boil milk and sugar for 25 minutes, leave to cool.
- Strain the milk, add strained alcohol, vanilla and whiskey, mix well and put in a bottle.
- Keep in the freezer.
- Variation: use tangerines instead of lemons.
I'm not going to rate this because I didn't totally follow the recipe. I'm sure it would have been much better with the grain alcohol and whiskey or cognac, but I didn't have any, so I followed another reviewer's advice and substituted 2 c. vodka for the alchohol. I really, really wanted to like it, but the vodka was just way too strong for my taste. I hope to make it again the right way. The directions were easy to follow, and it still sounds delish!
I forgot to review this. This is my fourth year preparing it for friends. I sure have a lot of new friends . This is the best recipe on the web. I cant believe you have such a delicacy with so little time. I'm from the US, I'm older and I havent done conversions since College chemistry but I used for each batch 2 cups vodka for alcohol, and 3 cups of sugar for others having problem with conversions. Magnificant
The (Canadian) Liquor store would not sell me grain alcohol because they said I needed a perscription for it! So I bought some alcool--a tasteless hard liquor. It turned out amazing and was soooo delicous. I used splenda for the sugar and whole milk instead of cream. I also make a lime version and called key lime pie cocktail -- it was such a hit with everyone.