Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From my Great Aunt's collection. She clipped this one from the Chicago Tribune, where it had won the weekly "Favorite Recipe" prize of $10. This is different from the other lemon delight recipes in that is contains no pudding mix or gelatin - this one is made with sweetened condensed milk and contains nuts & coconut.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipped cream (unsweetened)
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated!)
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemons, zest of
- Combine nuts and coconut in a 9" square baking pan and toast for 3-5 minutes in a preheated 350 F (watch carefully so they do not burn); set aside to cool.
- Cut margarine into flour and brown sugar using two knives (or a pastry blender) until mixture resembles crumbs.
- Stir in just 1/3 cup of the nut& coconut mixture; save the rest for topping later.
- Press dough into the bottom of a buttered 9" square baking pan and bake at 350 F for 15 minutes; let cool.
- Fold powdered sugar and vanilla into the whipped cream.
- Combine milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest; portion out 1/3 of the whipped cream mixture and gently combine with the milk mixture.
- Spread this mixture into the crust and let chill 15 minutes.
- Spread remaining whipped cream over the first layer and sprinkle the remaining nuts& coconut over all.
- Chill, covered.
- Cut into 9 squares to serve.
I think this was divine. I love lemon and this is so rich. Made it for a party. Used sweetened soy whip cream so did not add the icing sugar. Used homemade condensed milk and was rewarded for the effort. I am thankful that this one used no pudding mix. Great stuff. Thank you :) Fay