Recipe by WhitneysWonders
These are some yummy lemon cupcakes. The recipe uses Splenda, but you can replace it with sugar.
Top Review by sfowler
well as expected they turned oiut awful the crust like textur eon the top and then gooey the hard as a rock at the botton it you can get to the bottom ... the paper stayed stuck on over half of the muffin... i have added 3 egg yolks and a 12 cup of milk to the othe rhalf of the batch.. hopefully they can be saved...
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup Splenda granular
- 3 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fat free sour cream or 2 cups vegan sour cream
- 1 lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, mix apple sauce and splenda. Beat in eggwhites, one at a time.
- Add lemon peel, lemon juice, and vanilla; mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients; add to apple sauce mixture alternately with sour cream (batter will be thick).
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups with 1/4 cup of batter. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting I like to mix maple syrup with some lemon juice and whiskey, and soak bottom of the cup cakes in it, or just use some sugar-free coolwhip.