Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love anything citrus-y and these fit the bill. I don't remember where I got the recipe.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sour cream
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add lemon peel and vanilla and mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. The batter will be thick.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups with 1/4 cup of batter.
- Bake at 350º for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, cream butter and sugar in a small mixing bowl. Add lemon juice, vanilla, lemon peel and milk. Beat until smooth.
- Frost cupcakes when completely cooled.
The batter is very thick, but the texture is great after baked. I also used lemon juice instead of the zest, mostly because it's what I had available, and it worked great. Not too lemony, but still satisfied my lemon craving. I'll make these again.
The cupcakes were delicious. I like a lot of flavor, so I added lemon juice instead of just the zest. Great texture. I didn't make the frosting because I was concerned about the heat level where I was taking them. So I stuck with the Wilton's buttercream recipe from their website with and used lemon juice to thin it down to the right consistency instead of milk.
I have a huge cravings for citrus deserts and this recipe satisfies them all. The cake has just the right amount of lemon flavor for the average "sour" tooth (although personally, I would add a bit more)and the icing adds that extra kick. It is buttery and so lemony. I would like to try this recipe with other citrus fruit like, oranges.