Recipe by Ceezie
Dished up this is an impressive looking cake. The lemon cream on the inside is a nice surprise and compliment to this moist cake. I opted to mix up some lemon juice and powdered sugar to drizzle on top for a more intense lemon flavor. Made as is it is a subtle lemon flavored cake. Recipe Source: Better Homes and Gardens
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) carton lemon yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg or 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- 1 cup butter
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in 1/4 cup sugar; fold in lemon yogurt and lemon peel. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together 3 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg or mace. Cut in the 1 cup butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Combine eggs, milk and almond extract. Add to flour mixture, mixing until blended. Spread half of the batter in the prepared pan.
- Spoon the cream cheese mixture over the batter. Spoon the remaining batter in small mounds over the cream cheese mixture, spreading out as much as possible.
- Combine the 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup flour; cut in the 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans or almonds. Sprinkle nut mixture over batter in pan.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until cake is golden andtoothpick inserted in dough mounds comes out clean (do not test in filling). Cool on wire rack at least 45 minutes before serving. Chill to store.