Prep 4 hrs
Cook 10 mins
Posted for the Zaar World Tour-Denmark. From the "Best of International Cooking" cookbook. I haven't tried this recipe yet. Prep time includes refrigeration time.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon peel
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- chocolate shavings
- In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks until light. Beat in 5 tablespoons sugar and lemon peel until light and fluffy; set aside.
- Pour gelatin into a small saucepan; stir in lemon juice until gelatin is softened. Stir over low heat until gelatin dissolves; do NOT boil. Remove from heat; stir occasionally until cooled.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Beat in remaining 2 TBSP sugar until stiff but not dry. Fold cooled gelatin mixture into egg-yolk mixture. Fold egg-yolk mixture into beaten egg whites.
- Spoon into 4 to 6 individual serving dishes. Refrigerate 3 hours.
- To serve, top each serving with shaved chocolate or chocolate flakes.
My mother who came to America in 1925 from Denmark, fixed this desert every Christmas and we just loved it. My daughter fixed this for me last Sunday and it was as good as ever. She had me close my eyes and taste it, and said do you know what it is? I certainly did. A light wonderful desert, enjoy!