Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is delicious at a brunch, served with fresh fruit and an egg dish.
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- Defrost filo, following the package directions.
- Zest the lemon, mince and reserve. Carefully peel the lemon, removing all of the white pith. Thinly slice the peeled lemon with care, set aside. Lemon is easier to cut if first frozen.
- Combine the cheese, yolks, sugar and extract with an electric mixer or food processor. Blend until creamy.
- Fold in raisins if desired, and zest. Refrigerate.
- Heat oven to 375. Grease a baking sheet.
- Dampen a large cotton cloth, place on work surface.
- Remove first filo (phyllo) leaf from package and place on cloth. Brush the leaf quickly with melted butter. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs. Top with another filo leaf, butter and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs.
- Repeat with 2 more filo leaves.
- Working across only the bottom half of the short end of the prepared filo, spread half of the filling on the pastry, leaving a one-inch border acress the short end and halfway up both sides.
- Lay half of the lemon slices in a row across the filling.
- Fold the border over the filling, and using the cloth as a guide, loosely roll the pastry jellyroll fashion, taking care to keep ends tucked inches.
- Place rolled strudel, seam side down, on prepared baking sheet, brush with butter. Using a sharp knife, make seven slashes just through the top layer of filo leaves dividing the strudel into 8 equal servings. Repeat entire process with remaining filo leaves and filling to make a 2nd strudel.
- Bake 50-55 minutes, or until deep golden brown. Cool on wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
oh my gosh how wonderful! PAC 07 choice and a good one. Fabulous dessert, easy to make and good for company :)