This is a basic cream cheese cookie recipe that I added lemon and almond slices to. Keep an eye on them while baking--they are so rich they can burn in a minute. You can use either a 5-pointed star or 6-pointed star as a cookie cutter, depending on your religion. My cookie cutter was about 2 inches wide.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat cream cheese, butter, sugar vanilla, and lemon extract in mixer bowl on medium speed until creamy.
- Add flour, baking soda, lemon peel, until well blended.
- Chill dough 1 hour or overnight.
- Roll dough on well-floured surface into about 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into star (or any other) shape with a cookie cutter.
- Bake on greased cookie sheets for 8-10 minutes, until edges start to slightly brown. Remove to wire rack to cool.
- Mix the lemon juice and powdered sugar to make a glaze. Assemble all cookies on baking sheets and drizzle glaze on them. Immediately press sliced almonds into glaze.