Recipe by Chef on the coast
I have this thing with cream cheese. I like it with lots of different things. I really like it with lemon. This is a tasty recipe that I make for the summer. I believe it came from TOH. I haven't changed anything from the original as we like it so much!
Top Review by Citruholic
A wonderful cake. I didn't use lemon extract. I used lemon oil, and to keep it pure lemon I omitted the orange extract. I did use the fresh lemon juice, but also with a tablespoon or so of limoncello. Kept tasting til it had that nice tang! Baked beautifully in 90 minutes. Cooled for ten. When released from the pan and the cake was still warm, I doused it with a lemon syrup I'd made, which was 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice and 1/3 cup sugar, dissolved over low heat in a small pan. Also more limoncello in it. The glaze, with its butter and lemon juice (and limoncello, again) made for a nice tangy sweetness. Wonderful flavor. Thanks for sharing this recipe. REVISION: I rated the glaze before I actually applied it to the cooled cake. I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe it was the lemon juice and butter that didn't get along and separated, but while it tasted good, it looked awful. I would highly recommend sticking with powdered sugar and lemon juice for a classic glaze and a much prettier look. Sorry.
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups margarine or 1 1⁄4 cups butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, softened
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour bundt cake pan.
- Beat sugar, margarine and cream cheese on large bowl until fluffy.
- Beat in lemon juice, vanilla, extracts and salt.
- Add eggs, one at time, beating after each addition.
- Add flour; beat until smooth.
- Spread in pan.
- Bake about 90 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan.
- Cool completely.
- Spread lemon glaze over cake, allowing some to drizzle down side.
- For glaze - mix all ingredients until smooth.