Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A lovely french toast recipe that is a favorite at the Rose Cottage Guest House in Tacoma, Washington. Hope you enjoy.
- To make filling:.
- In a small bowl, stir together cream cheese, lemon juice, zest and sugar.
- Set aside.
- To make batter:.
- Blend eggs, half and half, sugar and vanilla and nutmeg in a large flat-bottomed bowl.
- Set aside.
- Preheat griddle to medium heat and lightly oil.
- Spread about two tablespoons filling on one side of a bread slice.
- Top with another slice and lightly press together.
- Dip sandwhich into batter, turn once and place on griddle.
- Cook until lightly browned on each side, about three minutes.
- Repeat to make desired number of servings.
OMG i loved the flavor in this recipe. I did change it around a bit. I was having a crowd up to the lake so I made it into a casserole instead of french toast. I spread the cheese mixture on the bread and then cut them up into cubes and put them into a casserole, added the egg mixer,dolloped some lemon curd on top and put it in the fridge until morning. I baked it at 350 for about 45 min. it was wonderful. thanks
My family enjoyed these! I used nonfat milk in place of the half and half and I'm sure that makes a difference as it was a little runny due to the milk. (Make sure to use half and half). The lemon flavor was light and you don't need any syrup on these as they taste yummy on their own!