Recipe by Chef AmberK
The best lemon cream cake EVER! White cake with a lemon cream filling and crumb topping.
Top Review by Muffin Goddess
I can't say how close to Olive Garden's version this cake is, but it's definitely a very tasty cake! I overmixed the crumb topping a bit, so it became kind of doughy, but it still tasted good. Loved the tang from the lemon juice drizzle on the cake layers, too. I baked mine in an 8" springform pan, so I ended up with a nice tall cake. It slices up very pretty, too, especially if you keep it chilled. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Fall 2012
- 1 (18 ounce) box white cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 3 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter (cold)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cake mix, water, oil, egg whites, lemon juice and lemon zest. Follow directions on box. Pour into greased and floured spring-form pan. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. Cool.
- For filling, mix softened cream cheese, powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Whip cream until stiff peaks form. Combine by hand with cream cheese mixture.
- For crumb topping, combine flour and powdered sugar, cut in butter, vanilla, and lemon juice (pastry blender or food processor).
- Slice cooled cake in half. Drizzle lemon juice on each cut side. Spread half of the cream mixture on bottom half of cake, put cake top on and spread the remaining cream on top and sides. Sprinkle crumb topping on top and pat on the sides.