Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe won a prize at a county fair in the "Sweet Quick Breads" category.
Make and share this Lemon Cream Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 1⁄2 ounces evaporated milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- Cream together butter, sugar and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each one.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk and water, blending well.
- Fold in nuts and lemon rind.
- Pour into greased and floured 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees about 1 hour or until golden brown.
- Stir sugar with lemon juice until dissolved.
- Drip over hot loaf and let stand in pan for 30 minutes.
- Turn out on rack.
I made this bread yesterday and found it to be more like a loaf pound cake. The flavor was good but the texture was very dense. I prefer something a little lighter for a sweet bread
One of my PAC picks Spring 2007 OH yum! Had no evaporated milk on hand so substituted with half-n-half and the lemon glaze just brought it over the top; it was a pure pleasure to eat! Oh yeah, it's a keeper.
Is this a bread or is this a cake? This is one recipe you DEFINATELY want to make! Had my reservations about batter too, Good things come to those who wait, TRUE! Coated loaf pan with oil spray so wouldn't stick, Am SO glad this is one of the recipes I did pick! Browned nicely on top before its time, true! Not to worry...put aluminum foil loosely on top too! Glaze was terrific, the cake made my day, HOPE you'll try it cos it's more than O.K. :)