Yum. Made this recipe up this morning, based on my usual scone recipe, but I goofed with the amount of oats and it was a happy mistake! I hope you like them! I should note that this is a more healthy, grainy, scone, not a buttery & flaky one - DH & I have really come to enjoy this for a more stick-to-your-ribs scone. Edited Nov '10 to only fresh or frozen cranberries, as the moisture is essential to the scone's texture.
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 2⁄3 cup oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, freshly grated (more, to taste)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (use more if you like your scones sweet)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup fresh cranberries or 1 cup frozen cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup milk
- coarse sugar, for sprinkling on top (optional)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix dry ingredients together (flour, oats, baking powder, lemon zest, sugar).
- Stir oil into dry ingredients.
- Mix in cranberries and almonds.
- Add vanilla extract and milk.
- Stir until the dry ingredients are damp and will clump together.
- Drop into four mounds (six if you like your scones smaller) on parchment paper lined or greased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with course sugar, if using.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until lightly browned.