Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe makes a 1 1/2 lb. loaf. I think it's especially good with butter and honey.
- 1⁄4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated lemon peel
- Grate the peel from two medium size lemons (preferably organic), then squeeze them, removing the seeds from the juice.
- Place all ingredients, except the cranberries and lemon peel, in bread machine in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Process on Dough setting, or knead together by hand. Add the cranberries and lemon peel shortly before the kneading is complete. This is a little tricky - too
- early and the cranberries will be beaten to shreds, too late and they won't be mixed in well. Allow the dough to rise for about an hour, until doubled in size.
- Place dough onto a lightly floured board and punch down. Lightly grease a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 " loaf pan with butter. Without overworking the dough, place it in the loaf pan and push down until it's evenly distributed all the way into the corners.
- Cover with a floured towel, and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes or until double in bulk.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the loaf is golden brown and you get a hollow sound when tapping the bottom. Place on a wire rack and allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.