Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
These crab cakes have a wonderful lemony, light, spicy flavor. Perfect for a quick weekend brunch. Note the lower fat comments, if you're watching the fat. This recipe is for those tasty Gulf Coast crabs you'll find in the Southern U.S.
- 8 ounces claw crabmeat
- 2 -3 slices white bread or 2 -3 slices French bread
- 1 lemon
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise (low fat is OK if preferred)
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onion, including tops
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper (to your taste)
- 2 tablespoons butter (cooking spray is OK if preferred)
- 1 (10 ounce) bag mixed salad greens (Spring Mix is our favorite)
- 1⁄4 cup citrus vinaigrette dressing
- Pulse bread in blender to make 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs.
- Grate yellow rind of lemon to make 1 tsp zest.
- Cut lemon in 2- 6 pieces and squeeze to make 2 tbsp juice.
- Blend mayonnaise with lemon zest, juice and seasonings in a medium size bowl.
- Stir in crab meat, breadcrumbs and onions.
- Shape mixture into eight 3 inch"cakes" on a sheet of wax paper.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter (or non-stick spray).
- Cook crab cakes in skillet 4 minutes.
- Add the other tbsp butter (or more spray), turn the cakes carefully, and cook another 4 minutes.
- Cook in batches, if necessary, you don't want to crowd them in the pan.
- Meanwhile, toss greens with dressing in a large bowl.
- Divide greens onto 4 plates.
- Lay crab cakes over greens and serve with fresh tomato slices and hot garlic bread.
Yummy, crab cakes, liked the flavor of the lemon. very light. I rolled them in panko crumbs before frying. These will make a great summertime dinner. Thank you for the recipe, PanNan.