Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
Posted for ZWT6: Middle East. Adapted from Bon Appetit.
Make and share this Lemon Couscous With Peas and Carrots recipe from Food.com.
- Bring chicken broth and 1/4 cup water to boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add carrots and cook 2 minutes.
- Add peas; cook fresh peas 4 minutes or frozen peas 1 minute.
- Add couscous; cook 30 seconds, stirring often.
- Add lemon juice, lemon peel and butter; stir until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Fluff with fork.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Because I used Israeli couscous, I had to adjust cooking directions. First I brought the broth to the boil, added the Israeli couscous, butter, carrots and peas. Covered and simmered 10-12 minutes until broth evaporated. Stirred in the lemon juice and peel. Easy, delicious and we'll be making this again very soon. Reviewed ZWT 6.
Nice quick dish. I had to replace some of the couscous with bulghur, I didn't realize I was running so short on couscous. That sub worked out fine, I just used about 1 cup of grain overall instead of 1 1/4. I used veggie broth and Earth Balance instead of butter. It was nice and light and would be a great accompaniment to so many things. I served it for lunch over a bed of lightly sauteed spinach, garlic & almonds.