A recipe I tweaked to make gluten free, so my mom can eat it. I serve it drizzled with a berry sauce made from berries boiled down in a simple syrup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour, mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg whites (or use 3 eggs total)
- 1/2 cup nonfat yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line the bottom of a 10″ round cake pan with parchment or wax paper. Lightly oil the pan and dust with cornmeal, shaking out the excess.
- 2In a medium sized bowl, sift together cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, and butter until well combined. Add eggs and egg whites, one at a time, stirring until just combined.
- 3In a small bowl, stir together yogurt, lemon zest, juice, and extract. Fold into the sugar mixture until just combined. Fold in the dry ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix.
- 4Place the batter in the prepared pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on a rack, invert the cake, peel off the paper and cool completely.
- 5(The cake can be made ahead to this point and refrigerated, wrapped in plastic, for up to 3 days.).
- 6Cut the cake into wedges and serve, topped with the berries.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Cornmeal Cake
Serving Size: 1 (90 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.9
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 60.8 mg
- Sodium 209.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 26.5 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: