Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A recipe I tweaked to make gluten free, so my mom can eat it. I serve it drizzled with a berry sauce made from berries boiled down in a simple syrup.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup gluten-free flour, mix
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg whites (or use 3 eggs total)
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line the bottom of a 10″ round cake pan with parchment or wax paper. Lightly oil the pan and dust with cornmeal, shaking out the excess.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift together cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, and butter until well combined. Add eggs and egg whites, one at a time, stirring until just combined.
- In a small bowl, stir together yogurt, lemon zest, juice, and extract. Fold into the sugar mixture until just combined. Fold in the dry ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Place the batter in the prepared pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on a rack, invert the cake, peel off the paper and cool completely.
- (The cake can be made ahead to this point and refrigerated, wrapped in plastic, for up to 3 days.).
- Cut the cake into wedges and serve, topped with the berries.