This is one of my favorite cookies. Sometimes I add some of the lemonade powder to the cookie dough and add more to the powdered sugar to make them very lemony.
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- In a large bowl, cream together: sugars, shortening, egg, vanilla and salt.
- Add the flour and baking powder.
- Add 1 Tbsp of water and continue mixing until dough forms a ball.
- Roll dough into 3/4-inch balls and flatten slightly onto a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until light brown.
- While cookies bake combine 1 cup powdered sugar with the lemonade powder in a large ziploc bag and shake to mix.
- Remove cookies from the oven and put them in the ziploc bag while they are still hot, shake until all cookies are coated.
I followed the recipe exactly and found that while the coating was lemony, the cookie itself needs more lemon flavor. Next time I'll try adding lemonade mix to the dough itself.
My hubby thought these were great...even though I didn't have Kool-aid for the powdered sugar mix (I used lemon extract instead of vanilla in the dough.) I can't wait to make these according to the recipe! Even altered, these were FABULOUS. Thanks!
This is my 4th year in a row to make these for my Christmas cookie baskets. They are delicious, and my sister-in-law's absolute favorite! I do double the kool aid to make them EXTRA lemon-y. Thanks for the recipe.