Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
This is one of my favorite cookies. Sometimes I add some of the lemonade powder to the cookie dough and add more to the powdered sugar to make them very lemony.
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon water
Lemon Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kool aid unsweetened lemonade mix
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- In a large bowl, cream together: sugars, shortening, egg, vanilla and salt.
- Add the flour and baking powder.
- Add 1 Tbsp of water and continue mixing until dough forms a ball.
- Roll dough into 3/4-inch balls and flatten slightly onto a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until light brown.
- While cookies bake combine 1 cup powdered sugar with the lemonade powder in a large ziploc bag and shake to mix.
- Remove cookies from the oven and put them in the ziploc bag while they are still hot, shake until all cookies are coated.
I followed the recipe exactly and found that while the coating was lemony, the cookie itself needs more lemon flavor. Next time I'll try adding lemonade mix to the dough itself.
Great recipe with some minor changes! We substitiuted lemon juice for the 1 TBS water and we added fresh lemon zest to the flour mixture. We didn't use the lemonade mix but added fresh lemon juice to the powdered sugar. My family can't stop eating them!
My hubby thought these were great...even though I didn't have Kool-aid for the powdered sugar mix (I used lemon extract instead of vanilla in the dough.) I can't wait to make these according to the recipe! Even altered, these were FABULOUS. Thanks!