Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
I'm posting this recipe in response to a request. This do-ahead, sweet slaw is delicious with chicken, barbecue, or fish! (Prep and cook time do not include 6 hours or overnight chilling time).
- 6 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, finely shredded
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 (3 ounce) package lemon Jell-O gelatin
- Combine all vegetables and toss with oil.
- Set aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients, except jello and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Add lemon jello and stir to dissolve.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Pour over slaw and toss well.
- Cover and chill overnight or at least 6 hours.
- This is a sweet slaw and will keep 2-3 weeks in the refrigerator.
This slaw has a lot of sweet, lemony flavor. The only change I made was to use a little less (1/2 a cup) of oil. I also used red wine vinegar though perhaps white is what the author is calling for (either way, red worked out fine). I found there was more liquid than I preferred, so I drained the slaw after mixing everything together. Next time, when I'm making it just for myself, I'll probably use sugar-free Jello mix and double the cabbage to increase the number of servings and make it a bit healthier. Thanks for sharing!
This looked different and I was tired of regular mayonaise cole slaw. WoW, I love it. I only used 1/3 c oil, splenda and sugar free lemon jello. It is wonderful. I liked the way it tasted as soon as I made it, but it is better later. Next time I will only use 1/2 c splenda and see how that tastes, I think it may be enough for us. Thanks for sharing a DIFFERENT recipe.
This was very good. I used Splenda for the sugar to make it low carb. My husband really liked it also and he isn't much for slaw. I like the fact that it keeps in the refrigerator for so long. We will be having it often.