Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut flavoring
- lemon slice
Lemon-Butter Cream Frosting
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- Make the cake: cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating well with electric mixer.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir in grated coconut and flavorings.
- Pour batter into greased and flour 13 x 9 inch baking pan; bake in preheated 350° oven for 35-40 minutes or until a pick comes out clean.
- Meanwhile make frosting: cream softened butter; add the remaining ingredients, beating until smooth.
- When cake is done, remove from oven and cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan and place on a serving tray; let cake cool completely.
- Spread frosting on top and sides of cake; garnish with lemon slices, if desired.
Very good! Made this for Easter and it was a big hit. Everyone wanted the recipe! Only changes I made were to the icing: I didn't use the butter flavoring and since I LOVE lemon, I used almost a tablespoon of rind.
A wonderfully moist and sweet cake! Turned out beautifully and didn't stick around long! Instead of baking it in a 9 x 13 in. cake pan I put it in a cookie sheet which served more for our potluck. Will definately make again.