Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
This recipe originated with Lara Adler. She is Vegan and often makes food without eggs, or dairy. It has no cholesterol in it which is my kinda recipe.
- 1 cup tofu (use Mori-nu silken tofu firm style-I blended it before mixing it with the wet ingredients)
- 3⁄4 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (or 1/4 tsp. lemon essential oil)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
- 2 cups flour (I used white spelt)
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325'F.
- Oil and flour a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Take a cup of the silken tofu and blend it until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, using a hand mixer, blend the smooth tofu, coconut milk, sugar, oil, vanilla and lemon extract (and the coconut if using) until completely smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients. Fold the wet into the dry using a spoon (I used a spatula) and mix until just combined. Then using a hand mixer on low mix for 15-20 seconds, just to remove the lumps -- do not over mix!
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes until a skewer comes out clean in the center.
- Let cool in the pan about 10 minutes before removing. Then cool completely on a wire rack before slicing -- it will fall apart if you don't.
- Bon Appetit!