Cook1 hr 5 mins
This recipe originated with Lara Adler. She is Vegan and often makes food without eggs, or dairy. It has no cholesterol in it which is my kinda recipe.
- 1 cup tofu (use Mori-nu silken tofu firm style-I blended it before mixing it with the wet ingredients)
- 3⁄4 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (or 1/4 tsp. lemon essential oil)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
- 2 cups flour (I used white spelt)
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325'F.
- Oil and flour a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Take a cup of the silken tofu and blend it until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, using a hand mixer, blend the smooth tofu, coconut milk, sugar, oil, vanilla and lemon extract (and the coconut if using) until completely smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients. Fold the wet into the dry using a spoon (I used a spatula) and mix until just combined. Then using a hand mixer on low mix for 15-20 seconds, just to remove the lumps -- do not over mix!
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes until a skewer comes out clean in the center.
- Let cool in the pan about 10 minutes before removing. Then cool completely on a wire rack before slicing -- it will fall apart if you don't.
- Bon Appetit!