Adapted from Company's Coming - Mostly Muffins. The batter is a nice, fluffy, light batter. It scoops into the muffin cups easily. The final result is a touch crumbly but still tastes WONDERFUL. If you would like to, you can omit the oatmeal and increase the coconut by the 1/2 cup. That is how the original recipe was listed but I tried to make it a little lower in fat by decreasing the coconut.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup quick oatmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup margarine (you could use softened butter)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut (or more)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely grated
- Measure first 4 ingredients into small bowl. Stir. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar in large bowl. Add egg and lemon zest. Beat well.
- Add flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with milk in 2 parts, stirring after each addition until just combined. Fill 12 greased muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle with second amount of coconut. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 18 to 20 minutes until wooden pick inserted in centre of muffin comes out clean.
- Glaze: Combine all 4 ingredients in small saucepan. Heat on medium until boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low. Heat and stir for 2-4 minutes until starting to thicken. Carefully spoon over hot muffins. (This makes a mess of your pan. It is SO worth it though.) Let stand in pan for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool.
Wonderful muffins! I make muffins every week for work and these are a favorite. I try to make low fat muffins and these were perfect. I added some lemon extract to the batter as I was short on lemon zest.
Great muffins!!! Thankyou for this Fab recipe.
I've made these muffins twice now as they were such a hit! First time i did what the recipe says-1/2 oatmeal 1/2 coconut.
This time i did 1 cup coconut.
I would suggest trying 1 cup Greek style yoghurt instead of the milk. I love the Vaalia yoghurt.
Also this time i also dipped the top of the muffin in the syrup which worked well as mine rise a lot which makes getting the syrup to soak in difficult.
These are excellent!I made a few changes/additions to mine.I used 1 cup all purpose flour and 1 cup whole wheat.I also added 1/4 ground flax seed.I also used 1/2 tsp coconut,lemon and almond extracts.And one more thing,I had some frozen vanilla eggnog that I just thawed out and used that instead of the milk.The glaze adds a very nice zing to the muffin,the lemon zest is great!