Recipe by Ivana*
Got this fab recipe from a friend. Nice tasting cake without the icing. Be warned the icing is very lemony - a must for lemon lovers.
Top Review by andrewcharlotte
I made a double batch and baked it in my 10 x 10 pampered chef stoneware pan. I didn't think the cake had enough coconut flavour. Also, the cake was VERY greasy, and the texture was heavy and rubbery. My family likes coconut so they ate it anyway. I made my own version of a lemon- cocnut glaze with toasted coconut, which gave the cake some zing. I'm a baker, and i don't think i will try this one again.
- 1 1⁄2 cups self raising flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 125 g unsalted butter (softened)
For the icing
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 cup coconut (I prefer shredded or use dessicated)
- 2⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix together cake ingredients until well combined.
- Transfer mixture into a well greased cake tin (20cm diameter).
- I like to use a spring form cake tin.
- Bake in oven 170 C for 40 mins or until tested done.
- Turn out onto a cake rack and ice when cool.
- For the Icing: Mix icing ingredients together till combined.