Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
For best flavour, squeeze fresh lemon juice for these tangy bars!!!!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup crushed soda cracker (about 8 crackers)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Base: In medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, coconut, crushed soda crackers, lemon rind and baking soda.
- With a pastry cutter or 2 knives, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Reserving 1 cup of flour mixture, press remainder evenly over base of greased 8-inch square baking pan.
- Lemon Filling: In medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, lemon juice, eggs and lemon rind.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking all the time for 7 minutes or until bubbly and thickened.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter until melted.
- Pour lemon filling over base; sprinkle evenly with reserved flour mixture.
- Bake in 350° oven 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool in pan before cutting into squares.