Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I thought this sounded good -- my favorites coconut and lemon! Recipe source: Bon Appetit (April 2004)
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sweetened coconut, flaked, toasted
- 6 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel, grated
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- To make the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Line an 8x8-inch pan with foil. Butter foil and set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in food processor and process for 3 seconds.
- Add coconut and butter and process until mixture resembles meal and starts to clump together. Gather dough in a ball.
- Press dough in prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Prepare filling while crust is cooking.
- In a food processor combine 3/4 cup sugar, eggs, lemon juice and peel, flour, baking powder and salt together and blend until smooth.
- Remove crust from oven. Pour filling over crust.
- Return to oven and bake for 30 minutes or until filling is set and springs back when touched in the center.
- Transfer to rack and let cool.
- Cut into 16 bars and sift powdered sugar over bars.
this was a very nice lemon bar, I liked the coconut in the base. I also added a couple of tsp of rind to the base. thanks
I baked these for a charity cake sale at work and they were a hit. Lovely coconut crunchy base. One thing - I doubled the quantities for the lemon topping
Wonerful! I love the lemon and coconut togather. Didn't change a thing. Thanks for posting.