Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is an elegant dessert that is incredibly easy to make. No eggs, no baking, just chill time.
- 340.19 g fat-free evaporated milk
- 20 ladyfingers
- 236.59 ml orange juice
- 85.04 g package lemon Jell-O gelatin
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 28.34 g walnuts, chopped
- Place in refrigerator: a large mixing bowl, can of evaporated milk, and metal beaters from an electric mixer to chill for 2 hours (If you are in a hurry, you can stick them in the freezer for one hour).
- Meanwhile, heat the orange juice until it is fairly hot, and dissolve the jell-o mix into it. Add the sugar and lemon juice and mix well. Refrigerate the lemon mixture until it is cool.
- Cut the rounded ends off on one side of the ladyfingers and line a 9-inch spring form cake pan with the ladyfingers, flat end on the bottom. Set aside.
- Once the evaporated milk is sufficiently chilled, whip it with an electric beater on high until it forms soft foamy peaks. Gradually fold in the lemon mixture with a spatula.
- Pour the lemon foam into the ring of ladyfingers. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Sprinkle chopped walnuts on top before serving.
I used whipping cream too, and this was just devine. Very easy, but also very impressive. The guest I served this to just raved about it. Thanks.
I made this as directed and it turned out yummy, nice & light & moussy. My only problem was that the lemon liquid didn't seem to fold into the milk whip very well. The mixture kept falling to the bottom of the bowl, it took quite a while to fold it in & even when it looked all mixed more liquid sank to the bottom as it set so there was a small jelly like layer along the bottom of most of it. Even with my problems it still set reasonably well & I got great comments from my guests so it's all good!
CAUTION - this is not an egg-free recipe. Ladyfingers are similar to sponge-cake and typically contain egg. Not for those with allergies.