Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is an elegant dessert that is incredibly easy to make. No eggs, no baking, just chill time.
Make and share this Lemon Cloud (lemon Charlotte Russe) recipe from Food.com.
- Place in refrigerator: a large mixing bowl, can of evaporated milk, and metal beaters from an electric mixer to chill for 2 hours (If you are in a hurry, you can stick them in the freezer for one hour).
- Meanwhile, heat the orange juice until it is fairly hot, and dissolve the jell-o mix into it. Add the sugar and lemon juice and mix well. Refrigerate the lemon mixture until it is cool.
- Cut the rounded ends off on one side of the ladyfingers and line a 9-inch spring form cake pan with the ladyfingers, flat end on the bottom. Set aside.
- Once the evaporated milk is sufficiently chilled, whip it with an electric beater on high until it forms soft foamy peaks. Gradually fold in the lemon mixture with a spatula.
- Pour the lemon foam into the ring of ladyfingers. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Sprinkle chopped walnuts on top before serving.
I used whipping cream too, and this was just devine. Very easy, but also very impressive. The guest I served this to just raved about it. Thanks.
I made this as directed and it turned out yummy, nice & light & moussy. My only problem was that the lemon liquid didn't seem to fold into the milk whip very well. The mixture kept falling to the bottom of the bowl, it took quite a while to fold it in & even when it looked all mixed more liquid sank to the bottom as it set so there was a small jelly like layer along the bottom of most of it. Even with my problems it still set reasonably well & I got great comments from my guests so it's all good!
CAUTION - this is not an egg-free recipe. Ladyfingers are similar to sponge-cake and typically contain egg. Not for those with allergies.