Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A nice side dish with plenty of flavor when you don't want the same old plain rice.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup raw long grain rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in nonstick sauce pan.
- Add rice and saute until rice kernels are opaque.
- Add water, grated lemon rind, lemon juice, turmeric and salt.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in green onions and cilantro.
This was good -- mildly flavoured and very colourful. I didn't have green onions on hand, so substituted chopped onions sauteed in oil with the rice during step #2.
This was the perfect side dish for a mojo carillo marinated chicken dish, with the flavors complimenting perfectly. I loved how pretty the rice looked, light yellow from the turmeric and speckled with flecks of green from the onions and cilantro. I confess to being a cilantro junkie, so I added an extravagant handful instead of the judicial 1/4 cup. PanNan, we enjoyed your recipe very much.
This was so good! Definitely a nice change from regular white rice!