Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
Quick and easy recipe-good with curries.
- 9 lemons, juice and rind of, sliver the peel
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups golden raisins
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1 dried hot chili peppers, crushed or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red chili pepper flakes
- 5 large peaches, peeled,pitted and chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (optional)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients in a large stainless or enamel pot and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir often and mash as you go.
- Ladle into clean hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space-seal.
- Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath at altitudes up to 1000 feet.
I like the tartness of the lemon more than the vinegar or other chutneys. My husband thinks it will be great as a condiment for grilled salmon. I don't understand why the green pepper is in there, as it totally loses its color from all the lemon juice and doesn't really add a lot of flavor. Next time I'd use a red one.