Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
Published by the Toronto Star and originally from Anne Lindsay's New Light Cooking. This tart is quick and easy to make. While it's baking some of the chocolate crust will rise to the top and leave a lemon layer in the middle.
Top Review by Sam #3
DH loved this, I liked it, so 4 stars was the vote. The crust was tasty but a little too hard (to eat and cut). The filling was perfectly lemony but, IMO, there was too much lemon peel. I think the rind of just 1 lemon would be better next time.
- 2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 lemons, rind of, grated medium
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons icing sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Pulse wafer crumbs in food processor until fine.
- Blend butter and corn syrup.
- With food processor running, gradually add butter mixture to crumbs and process until mixed.
- Spray 9 inch pie plate or flan pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using hands or back of large spoon, spread crumb mixture over bottom and up sides pressing firmly so mixture holds together.
- Bake at 375F for 10 minutes.
- Lemon Filling:.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and sugar in bowl until well mixed.
- Whisk in lemon rind and juice.
- Pour into baked chocolate crust.
- Bake in 375F oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until top is barely set.
- Let cool.
- Just before serving, sift sugar over top.