Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Published by the Toronto Star and originally from Anne Lindsay's New Light Cooking. This tart is quick and easy to make. While it's baking some of the chocolate crust will rise to the top and leave a lemon layer in the middle.
- 2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 lemons, rind of, grated medium
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Pulse wafer crumbs in food processor until fine.
- Blend butter and corn syrup.
- With food processor running, gradually add butter mixture to crumbs and process until mixed.
- Spray 9 inch pie plate or flan pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using hands or back of large spoon, spread crumb mixture over bottom and up sides pressing firmly so mixture holds together.
- Bake at 375F for 10 minutes.
- Lemon Filling:.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and sugar in bowl until well mixed.
- Whisk in lemon rind and juice.
- Pour into baked chocolate crust.
- Bake in 375F oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until top is barely set.
- Let cool.
- Just before serving, sift sugar over top.
DH loved this, I liked it, so 4 stars was the vote. The crust was tasty but a little too hard (to eat and cut). The filling was perfectly lemony but, IMO, there was too much lemon peel. I think the rind of just 1 lemon would be better next time.
Very good...I love chocolate and lemon together. I made this as directed. It was interesting how the crust and lemon kinda combined and got a spongy texture. Made for the 1-2-3 hit wonders tag game.
Well, this chocoholic loves tart, so this one was GREAT! This was one of two desserts I made, one for me & one for neighbors, but then I decided to do it up half & half! Almost wish I'd kept this one right here at home! Anyway, this tart was OUTSTANDING & the combo of lemon & chocolate was . . . Well, this recipe is definitely a KEEPER! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed as a kidnapped recipe in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #16]